Nasal congestion, stuffy nose, runny nose – these are common problems experienced by everyone, usually many times a year. We generally disregard it if it’s on moderate levels but can get very annoyed when they are strong and require our attention.
Yes, you could use a nasal spray to depress it for a while. But there are some problems with the sprays:
- First, they are drugs (chemicals), might have side effects and are somewhat addictive.
- Second, they cost money.
- Third, you should have it with you whenever your nose drives you mad. This might not be the case every time, since you have to buy it first, and then carry it with you whenever you go (work, for example).
When I was little, my grandmother taught my father and me a very simple point massage technique that relieves nasal congestion fast and effectively, without leaving the bitter taste in your mouth. I wanted to share it with you.
Please look at the comments below the article to read about the many successes of this technique. Write about your results in the comments as well.
I believe that the massage is based on Chinese acupressure but I can’t be sure since at that time neither of us knew anything about it, and secondly, I’m not an expert at this now. There are only 4 easy points to massage, so it’s very easy to remember and always have it with you (in your head). Here how it goes:
How to quickly decongest nose naturally:
- Perform the below routine 3 times:
- Perform 10 pressures on a cavity at the corner of the nostrils (point 1). You should almost close and open the nostrils when you do the round movement.
- Perform 10 pressures on a cavity just below the corner of the eyes near the nose (point 2)
- Perform 10 pressures on a cavity just below the ear, behind the earlobe (point 3)
- Massage the earlobe 10 times (point 4)
- After performing the above 3 times, you should feel immediate relief of your nasal congestion. It is advised to repeat the above procedure again in about 10 minutes to make it more permanent or the congestion could return.
Additional nose massage instructions:
The pressures are actually round movement. Look at the pictures for exact motion.
- Do it with a very mild pressure. Just place your fingertips on the points and rotate with a little pressure. Nothing should hurt at all.
- You should not push the cartilage of the nose and definitely not the ears. In the nose, only the bottom part of the nostrils are being pushed. In the ears (point 3), it’s the cavity just below the cartilage and the rotation is not wide, so you’re actually more pushing and releasing the point when you do the round movements.
- Point 2 is just below the corner of the eyes where the tears come out (where you take the stuff out of your eyes when you wake up in the morning). The rotation is done without lifting the finger but by moving the skin. Again, it’s more of a pushing-releasing kind of rotation and you should feel the corner of the eye when you apply the pressure.
I hope these instructions will make you feel better next time you’ve got a stuffy nose. Tell me if it helps you as much as it helps me and my family.